Sunday, April 16, 2006

Guilt-free selectivity

This is a reflective one...

Two weeks into the second module, & the new approach seems to be working out. Pick'n'mix, on my terms, is making me feel much more in control of my learning. I know there aren't enough hours in a week to study everything thoroughly, partly because my brain's not as young as it was & I have to go through academic articles several times, slowly, to absorb what they're saying. But instead of panicking or sacrificing other activities to indulge my perfectionist tendencies, I'm only giving one or two topics per week the deep treatment, & it feels great :-)

I've reminded myself of my primary reason for doing this course: to gain a better understanding of my own organisation (the OU) & my role within it as an online tutor & moderator. That's not to say I'm ignoring all the material about "training", because what happens in the corporate world will spill over into the academic world, as universities become ever more more business-oriented - & in fact the most interesting case studies have been about e-learning at Shell & company intranets at a pseudonymous "Eurobank". But I'm not beating myself up about collecting knowledge I'll never need to apply.

I'm also introducing a greater element of instrumentalism into my study & giving more attention to those activities I'm likely to be able to re-use for the end of course portfolio. The others are being read closely if they're intrinsically interesting or potentially useful for the end of module assignment, or just skimmed if they don't meet any of these conditions. Or if they clash horribly with my preferred learning styles - my scepticism about the validity of learning styles analysis goes out of the window when I'm asked to make an audio recording! Instant Messaging was difficult enough....

I still haven't completely skipped any sections of the course (some old habits die very hard) but my personal learning is definitely changing, & that, conveniently, is what the course is all about.

2 Comments:

At April 23, 2006 7:15 pm, Blogger Jane said...

I'm still suffering but in an enjoyable way I suppose. There is so much to explore and I just don't have the time.

I, too, am ending up with a goal oriented approach though mine is far more EC related. I keep up the instrinsic motivation by latching onto any LO that links into my core interest in CoPs.

I am really glad to see you are maintaining your blog amongst all the activity; there seems to be a dearth of blogging generally at the moment. Are you doing the colloaborative activity on blogging? Is so perhaps we can set up a mechanism for some sort of cross tutor group dialogue on the subject? IM?

 
At April 24, 2006 3:25 am, Blogger bluefluff said...

Yes, the lack of time is a great frustration!
What's "EC"?
I'm not planning to use blogging as one of my collaborative activities - sorry. I'll probably keep up the blog intermittently for my own purposes, though. You're welcome to refer to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home